Another milestone in the blog - post number 800!
First, I want to thank you all for your readership and your kind words. I remain humbled by the response. To everyone who has let me know you are reading, ever liked a post, or commented, thank you. It is appreciated more than you could know. To those of you who read in silence, thank you as well.
I would also like to use this time to post a reminder of the blog rules, and to provide advance warning. There will be blogs that will either make you mad or will upset you or challenge your position on a particular topic. The blog is my personal writing exercise and soap box, so it will reflect my biases and my contrarian streak. I will also likely question things that many people believe are and should be settled. I am open to civil discourse on almost any topic.
Finally, I wanted to pass along a reminder that I have an email subscription option on the page. With that, you'll receive an email link each time a new post is added. There is also an RSS feed option, in case anyone prefers that method.
Further, an update of the reminders previously posted:
- This blog represents largely a writing exercise and an outlet for me to get thoughts out of my head. It contains my opinion on variety of issues from serious to silly and is filtered through my experiences, biases, etc.
- I promise, I will post on topics that are so niche-focused, so utterly nerdy that anyone but me is going to be bored to tears. I try to keep those to only once or twice a week and to rotate through a variety of topics throughout the week to keep it interesting. I use the labels so that you can screen out certain topics if you want to.
- I will post things that you will disagree with and that will potentially make you upset. I know I am more liberal than the majority of my audience. Probably regarding doctrine and politics both. These are both topics I'm going to write on from time to time. I personally favor moderation and lean center-left, but will post on a variety of viewpoints from center-right to hard left (maybe even hard right in a few instances).
- I am going to be harder on Republicans than I am on Democrats. While I am not a fan of many politicians of many different political parties, I am growing to despise what the Republican party is becoming. And I reserve the sharpest criticism for them due to one fact above all: the perverse mixture of politics and religion that Republicans promote. Because they purport to hold themselves out as the Christian party, I'm going to hold them to that impossible standard. I also hold them more accountable partly because they are in power, and I'm going to criticize whoever has power more than those in the minority.
- I'm going to be extremely hard on the current administration and this president in particular. This administration has moved much farther beyond normal bounds and are in completely new levels of deterioration. Their actions must continue to be called out and we cannot allow them to be normalized.
- I will not tolerate name calling or muckraking. When the thread resorts to calling each other racists, "liberal snowflakes," "libtards," or four-letter words, I will shut it down. Likewise, I'm not going to let stereotypes and sweeping generalities go unchallenged. All liberals do not want the destruction of our country, all conservatives are not bigots, etc.
- I hope for discussion that will foster conversation, not end it. So I expect more than "guns don't kill people, people kill people" in a discussion on gun control, for example. I will not let those conversation-enders stand unchallenged.
- Compromise is not a dirty word. And likewise, I do hope people change their mind from time to time based on what they learn. Including me.
- I follow this hierarchy for the value of information: facts then informed opinions then general opinions. Saying "that's just my opinion" is going to get nowhere with me if it is not supported by the facts.
Post a Comment